Skip to menu Skip to content

What kind of help is available?

There are a number of ways that Argyll and Bute Council Housing Services are able to support people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. The kind of help available depends on:

  • whether you are homeless
  • whether you are intentionally homeless
  • whether you have a local connection

The type of support which may be available includes:

Temporary accommodation

This is available to applicants while their application is being assessed. The results of your application will determine how long you are able to stay in the temporary accommodation that is provided for you, and whether an offer of permanent housing is made to you. A charge will be made for any temporary accommodation provided to you.

Permanent housing

If you are assessed as unintentionally homeless, or unintentionally threatened with homelessness, you will be helped to find permanent accommodation. You may be assisted to secure accommodation in the private sector if that is your preference, or you may receive up to two reasonable offers of permanent accommodation from one of the Home Argyll landlords. (If you refuse two reasonable offers, you will lose your homelessness priority and will be reassessed and will be able to join the main waiting list along with all non-homeless housing applicants).

Housing options advice

We will also help you to pursue other housing options if you wish, like renting accommodation privately. We will provide wider support and advice on issues like housing support and finances, if required.

Find out more

Please visit our housing advice section, which will help you to identify all the accommodation solutions which are available to you.

If you would like any assistance with this, please contact your local Argyll and Bute Council Housing Office, or any of the Home Argyll partners.