Skip to menu Skip to content


Housing Association Tenants

You can apply to the Home Argyll Common Housing Register (ACHA, Fyne Homes, Dunbritton Housing Association and West Highland Housing Association) if you are living in an overcrowded situation.

If you are then assessed as being overcrowded you will qualify for a larger property. How long it will take to be offered a larger home would be dependent on the size of your household, your areas of choice and the availability of larger properties.

You may also wish to consider applying for a mutual exchange.

Private Tenants

If you are a private tenant and are overcrowded you can consider:

  • Finding a larger, affordable, private rented property,
  • Applying for a housing association property.

If you are very overcrowded it may be unreasonable for you to continue to live in your home. In this case you can make a homeless application to Argyll & Bute Council.

There is more information available on the definition of overcrowding on Shelter Scotland's website or you can get advice and information from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

You may also be eligible for the Argyll & Bute Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme if you are looking for a tenancy in the private rented sector.