Armed Forces / Veterans
Argyll and Bute Council signed the Armed Forces Covenant in August 2017, and is committed to improving access to council services for members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.
Our Housing Services team can provide you with information and support on all aspects of housing throughout the Argyll and Bute Council area.
As well as the HOMEArgyll website, there are a number of specific Armed Forces/Veteran websites/organisations where additional information on housing (and any advice in general) can be found. The main ones are detailed below, in no particular order:
• Scottish Veterans Residences supports independent living for ex-service men and women and their husbands and wives. Phone 0131 556 0091 or visit their website at https://www.svronline.org
• Scottish Veterans Garden City Association provides houses for rent by disabled British ex-service personnel, and merchant navy, police and fire brigade personnel. Phone 0131 557 1188 or visit their website https://www.vhscot.org.uk
• Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) Forces Help provides advice through its Housing Advisory Service on 0207 463 9398, through their website at https://www.ssafa.org.uk/or through one of their local branches. They also have a confidential support line on 0800 731 4880.
• Poppy Scotland provides support and advice to veterans and their families in Scotland. They also fund an advice helpline, which provides support on housing, employment, benefits, debt and money management. You can call the helpline on 0845 231 0300 or you can visit their website at https://www.poppyscotland.org.uk
• Veterans Scotland brings the veterans charities and organisations in Scotland together to support the ex-service personnel community. Phone 0131 550 1595 or visit their website at www.veteransscotland.co.uk
• Veterans’ Gateway is made up of a consortium of organisations and Armed Forces charities, including The Royal British Legion, SSAFA, Poppyscotland, Combat Stress and Connect Assist. They connect with additional key referral partners and information organisations – both within and outside the Armed Forces sector – which means they can get you to the right organisation which can help. Funded by The Armed Forces Covenant, this is the first time a group of this kind has come together formally to deliver a service to help the Armed Forces community. Phone 0808 802 1212 or visit their website at https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk